Vincent Van Gogh is one of the most famous painters in history, but did you know…
- Vincent Van Gogh only sold one painting in his lifetime: The Red Vineyard. The buyer was Anna Boch, a Belgian Painter.
- When Van Gogh’s paintings are sold today, they are among the most expensive painitngs ever
- At the age of 32 he went to the art academy, but was sent away after 3 months
- He only painted 10 years, but produced 2100 art works in this period
- His brother Theo sent him money to survive.
- He worked as a missionary in the Borinage, a Belgian coal mining region
- He suffered from tinnitus. As a result he heared non-existing sounds.
- About his cut off ear:
- Some say tinnitus was the reason why he cut of his ear: to stop the sounds in his head
- Other sources say that he cut of his ear accidentally in a fight with Paul Gauguin, using a razor blade.
- And yet another story tells Paul Gauguin cut of Van Gogh’s ear with a sword in a fight for a local girl
- It is said he cut of his ear and brought it to a prostitute
- He had periods he was very depressive and in which he had hallucinations
- He stayed in mental institutions for this.
- Dr Gachet treated him. A portrait from Van Gogh of dr Gachet was sold in 1990 for US$ 82.5 million
- Officialy, he commited suicide with a revolver (but the gun was never found)