Bas Jan Ader was a Dutch conceptual and performance artist who disappeared in a mysterious way.
Did you know…
- Bas Jan Ader disappeared during one of his performances:
- His performance was titled In Search Of The Miraculous
- For this performance he wanted to cross the Atlantic Ocean solo
- In 1975 he left Cape Cod in a small sailboat
- 6 months later his boat was found in Ireland. Bas Jan Ader was vanished. No-one has heard of him since then.
- Some people believe his disappearance is part of a performance
- His mother had a premonition of his dead and wrote a poem about it: From the deep waters of sleep
- In Search Of The Miraculous is a tryptich:
- in part one he walked to the coast of L.A.; his wife took pictures of this performance
- in part two he wanted to cross the Ocean from Cape Cod to Amsterdam
- in part three, he wanted to wander through the streets of Amsterdam
- In the Seventies, Ader already performed Jackass stunts: in his performances he filmed himself falling from a roof or riding with his bike into a canal
- Today, the work of Ader is recognized in the contemporary art world